
She's the Oak tree in my life.
Stable, deep rooted, wise.
Integrity means something different because of her.
It isn't just about being honest on a math test, or not telling a lie
its more about being honest with the true voice inside
and making sure your actions
follow that voice constantly.
Its being true to yourself.
There were times as a child when I ran to the Oak tree for
comfort and reassurance.
As I approached, the tree would wrap me in its arms and
assure me that everything was going to be alright.
I was safe
Stable.
Then I got older and decided that I no longer needed the tree
"I can figure out my problems by myself."
It was only a matter of time before I was running back.
Crying
Lost
Unable to see
And there it was.
Standing straight and immovable, arms open, ready to give what it could
No matter what storms had hit
No matter what winds had blown or branches ripped off
It was there, ready to give everything, even if that wasn't very much.
I ran, and ran
I was hurt, I felt the darkness closing
My choices had caught up to me
What should I do I asked
Listen to yourself it replied and then continued to hold me
as I did.
The Oak tree has been my best friend since I can remember
I confide in it
I tell it stories
Sometimes we cry together
Other times we laugh
There are days when instead of giving comfort, it receives some.
Here I am.
20 yrs old
The tree still stands.
2 comments:
You are a poet and you didn't even know it...or did you? ? ? ? Haven't seen you in awhile. I love you very much little A. Shay Hofkins.
Those are beautiful words.
Post a Comment