Monday, March 15, 2010

"If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves." -Maria Edgeworth

Kyle and Allie


Paul and Giovanna



Brent and I


Callista and Daniel


Brent and I

When I was little, the night after my first nationals, I remember sobbing in my mothers arms. Not because I lost at the competition, but because I was so worried that I would never have that experience again. Dancing at nationals was such a once in a life time experience for me then, that I couldn't imagine it happening again. I was devastated!!

Since that first nationals experience I have since returned for the last ten years. Each year I accomplished something different. One year it was getting third and beating the Delgrossos, another year it was making the semi-final round in amateur latin. Each year has been very different but very important in my character building process.

No matter how unprepared I felt I always returned to nationals with the goal to give it my all. Last weekend I gave it my all and I experienced a different aspect of competing. This aspect involved cheering for friends that made it past me, encouraging people in events I could not compete in, and being sincerely happy not only for my successes, but for those around me.

Now looking back, I wasn't really sobbing because I was afraid of not going to nationals again, I was afraid of the great moments that I had had, being lost in time and never happening again.

I was right, they never did happen again. New moments happened instead that were even better.

No comments: