Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Moments....




Two summers ago I had the wonderful opportunity to live in Hawaii for three months with my sister and attend BYU Hawaii. This was one of the most meaningful experiences in my life. I learned so many lessons about who I was and who I wanted to be. I made some really great best friends who I still consider my greatest friends even though I hardly ever see them anymore. Probably the greatest lesson it taught me though was to slow down. My life is so quick paced and I get caught up in what I need to do next and forget to slow down to enjoy the moments in my life. Its almost impossible to do anything fast paced in Hawaii so I was forced to relax and could only control the things that were right in front of me.




My days were spent on the beach. My nights were spent playing games, going to dances, talking with friends, or just enjoying the warm rain and the sound it makes when it hits the tin roof of our back deck. In Hawaii it rains often.

I miss Hawaii. I once played with the idea of going back to the place where I found myself, but I knew that it wouldn't be the same. My stay there was a once in a life time thing. Everything happened exactly when it needed to. You can't re-create moments like those. It only leaves unmet expectations and empty attempts at making it what you remembered it being.

Someday I will go back though. I'll go and have different experiences with different people. Hawaii will help me grow in new ways and then i'll be grateful for those new moments that I had.

Someday I'll go back.........someday.




2 comments:

O'Loughlins said...

this makes me sad. and happy. i think about that summer allll the time. i miss it and all of you sooo much. but we had fun :) do you remember the chicken? ha

ahofheins said...

Oh my goodness, those chickens were the scariest things ever. Those boys thought they were so funny. I miss them a lot!!!